Developing a habit of listening to audiobooks can change your life for the better. I wrote this article with detailed instructions of how to use Audible.com for my friends that are not great at using computers but still want to develop this habit. If you are great at using computers then you can probably just go to https://audible.com and figure it out from there.
- Sign up for a free Audible.com trial
- Sign in to your Amazon account or create a new Amazon account
- Add payment details
- Search for an audiobook
- Add an audiobook to the cart and then get to the cart
- Place your order
- How to listen on your computer
- Download the Audible app on your mobile phone
- Open the Audible app and start enjoying your audiobook
- Decide if you want to keep your membership (with automatic monthly payments) or cancel your membership (so you will have no monthly payments)
- If you choose to cancel your membership and buy additional audiobooks at regular price, here is how to do it
1. Sign up for a free Audible.com trial
Follow this link or type it into your internet browser: https://amzn.to/2qZj4Ca
Click the "Start your free trial" button.
2. Sign in to your Amazon account or create a new Amazon account
If you already have an Amazon account, enter your login information. If you do not have an Amazon account, click the "create your Amazon account" button.
If you are creating a new Amazon account, complete the required fields. Make sure to write down the password you create so you do not forget it (You will need it later on in step 9).
3. Add payment details
Don't worry; I'll be showing you later (in step 11) how to immediately turn off the automatic monthly payments for the membership if you wish and you will still be able to listen to your first audiobook free and buy more audiobooks later.
4. Search for an audiobook
Enter a book title or author name into the search box in the upper right of the page and then click on the magnifying glass to search.
5. Add an audiobook to the cart and then get to the cart
Once you have found the audiobook you want, click the "Add to Cart" button. Notice that the button will turn blue and now says "In Cart". To get to your cart, either click the blue "In Cart" button or click on the cart icon in the upper right of the page.
6. Place your order
Click on the "next step" button. Then click on the "complete purchase" button.
7. You can now listen to your audiobook using your computer and its speakers. Here is how to listen on your computer:
If you intend to listen to your audiobooks using your computer only (you don't want to listen to them using your mobile phone), skip to step 10 after finishing this step.
To listen to your audiobook on using your computer's speakers go to https://www.audible.com/ and click on "Library", then "My Books".
You will then see your audiobooks, and below the cover there is a "Play" button. Click the "Play" button to open the Amazon Cloud Player.
Use the "Pause" and "Play" button to start and stop the audio.
8. Download the Audible app on your mobile phone
After purchasing the audiobook, the web page will give you the option of texting a link to your mobile phone for the Audible app. Getting this text message and then following the link in the text message to the Audible app is a great way to get to the app and download it. Here is what the text message will look like: Alternatively, find your way to the App Store on your mobile phone
on iPhones the App Store icon looks like this: and on Android phones the Google Play Store icon looks like this:
In the App Store (iPhones) or Google Play Store (Android phones) search for "Audible" to find the app. The icon for the Audible app looks like this: Once you find the app, tap "Get" (on iPhones) or "Install" (on Android phones) to download the app to your device.
9. Open the Audible app and start enjoying your audiobook
Open the Audible app.
Sign in using your Amazon account (some of you just created this in step 2; this is the information I told you to write down)
Don't worry: you will not need to enter your password every time you want to listen to your audiobooks. You will only need to enter your password once per device.
For iPhone users: Tap the Cloud tab, which will show you all of your audiobooks. Tap on the audiobook you want to listen to, to start downloading it. Once it has downloaded, tap on the cover to start listening!
For Android users: Open the Audible app. Tap My Library in the top left corner. Tap "Cloud", which will show you all of your audiobooks. Tap on the audiobook you want to listen to, to start downloading it. Once it has downloaded, tap on the cover to start listening!
10. Decide if you want to keep your membership (with automatic monthly payments) or cancel your membership (so you will have no monthly payments)
If you keep your membership:
- you make automatic monthly payments ($14.95 per month at the time of this writing)
- you get one free audiobook per month of your choosing
- you can purchase additional audiobooks at 30% off of the regular price
If you cancel your membership:
- there is no monthly payment
- you still get your first audiobook free
- you can buy additional audiobooks at regular price.
11. If you choose to cancel your membership and buy additional audiobooks at regular price, here is how to do it:
note: make sure you have already completed step 5 and 6 before doing this.
On your computer (it does not work on a mobile phone) go to https://www.audible.com/. Click on your name in the upper right of the page and then "Account Details" or go to https://www.audible.com/account
Click "Cancel membership" at the bottom of the membership details section. Continue to follow the on-screen instructions and steps (they will ask you 4 times if you really want to cancel). Don't worry: Audible content can be purchased with or without a membership and your audiobooks (including your first free audiobook) are yours to keep. You can continue to listen to them on any of your devices.
I hope this works
If you have followed these instructions and still cannot get it to work, contact me and I will personally help you get set up.
I hope that these instructions help at least a few people discover the life changing opportunities that Audible provides.